Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Meet Matt Hilton - 'Marked for Death'

It's always interesting to get an inside peep to a professional writer's thoughts, and I thought I'd ask full-timer Matt Hilton, author of the Joe Hunter thriller series among many others, a few questions that were intriguing me.

I should say up front that I've known Matt for a few years (we met, in fact, in Baltimore at the famous Bouchercon conference, and had been giving each other the cool nod and blink for a while in the main hallway downstairs before we actually decided to speak. (A clear indicator of English reserve, I reckon, but we've been firm friends ever since, even though we don't meet often enough).

I used the term 'professional' for Matt, and that's what he is. He writes - all the time - and treats it like the job that it is. He's constantly on the lookout for new directions, which is what you have to do in this game, and doesn't rest on his laurels, even after all the books he's had published to acclaim here and in the US. And most of all, he's incredibly modest and easy to talk to, which makes him one of the most likeable people I know.

So here's Matt, under the spotlight as 'Marked for Death', his latest Joe Hunter book hits the streets:


  • Are you fully inside Joe Hunter’s head by now or is there more we have to learn about him?
  • After twelve books and a bunch of short stories, you’d think by now I’d know everything there is to know about Hunter, but in the last few books I’ve noticed that even he is trying to figure out who he is and where he should go next, and I am learning new things as he tries to find his way. There’s so little I’ve explored in his past yet, that I feel there’s a wealth of hidden knowledge to be tapped for future books. Saying all that, I find I can slip immediately into his head when writing the next book. Familiarity I guess, where you are happiest when slipping into a battered old pair of shoes or easy chair. I think there is loads more for me to discover about Hunter, and as we both grow older, wonder how that will impact in the stories we tell together.
  • What do you feel are the essential characteristics of a good action figure?
  • For me the action figure should still be human, and fallible. An emotionless, robotic super killing machine only works when it’s called the Terminator. With Hunter I’ve made him highly skilled, but also too impulsive and reckless for his own good. Where’s the drama where there’s no possibility of a perfect hero failing? I like when there’s a good possibility that everything could go to sh*t and then see how Hunter extricates himself from the mess.
  • You’ve spoken in the past of your admiration for author Don Pendleton and his creation Mack ‘The Executioner’ Bolan. Allowing for changing attitudes and circumstances, how different is Joe from Mack?
  • I first read the Mack Bolan books back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. They were a product of their time, and probably less than the politically correct books we tend to read these days. At that time I probably wasn’t savvy to the politics of the books, and was only along for the action-packed ride. In many respects, Bolan was a product of the Vietnam War, and the political backlash the war brought to a generation of Americans. In some respects Hunter is also a product of pre-9/11 so it’s possible (probable) that his outlook on the world is very different than many of his current readers hold. Some female readers might find Hunter’s attitude somewhat misogynistic at times, whereas he only sees his behaviour as being good old-fashioned manners. Mack and Hunter are similar in that they are both stand-up guys who will do anything it takes to help those in need of them, and to take the war back to the bad guys.
  • Give us a taster sentence or paragraph from page 99 of ‘Marked for Death’.

·       The Mercedes was filled to capacity with men Cahill had worked alongside for years. He briefly wished it was they he'd sent to the hotel to carry out the hit, but the past was the past and there was no changing it. He didn't waste any time repeating descriptions of their target – he'd already done so over his phone – but immediately ordered two of the men, Monk and Hussein, out of the back seat and sent them up the path in pursuit while he leaned across and accepted the semi-automatic pistol from the third man previously crammed in the back seat. Out of habit Cahill worked the action on his gun, checking a round was in the chamber, and then dropping the clip and making another quick check that it was fully and correctly loaded. He'd nothing to worry about, because it was another ex-soldier that'd prepped it for him, his English pal, Dan StJohn. In the front were two more colleagues from back in the day when you could merrily cap a rag-headed Jihadist and not worry about the politically correct ramifications. He grunted in humour at the memory: ironic that they should now make bedfellows of their previous enemies.

  • You’re one of the hardest-working writers I know, but is it (a) harder, (b) easier or (c), about the same writing a new book than ‘Dead Men’s Dust’.
  • Writing Dead Men’s Dust – the first in the series - was a totally different experience. Back then I was writing when I could, while also trying to hold down a demanding job and raising a family. I could only get to it as precious time allowed, so my output was nowhere near as high as it is these days. Also, it went through so many changes (even characters and situations), and I wasn’t that familiar with the characters or even where I wanted to take them, so it was a much slower process. These days I write full time, so my daily word count is much higher, and being able to write for prolonged periods I feel I’m more in tune with the book I’m writing, so I have to say that the mechanics of writing is easier for me. Of course other demands, and reader expectation adds new challenges, so I’m not suggesting it’s a simple process, just different and more manageable for me.
  • Putting you on the spot now. In which book did Joe say the following, and at what juncture in the story?

There were only two options open to me: surrender or resist.
             Surrendering isn’t normally in my vocabulary.
 

  • I won’t lie. I had to look it up. Hunter tends to have his little pithy sayings, and I wasn’t sure when he’d used this one. But I believe it was used in Slash and Burn, the third book in the series, and as per usual Hunter has got himself into a tight fix and has made the decision to get himself out of it, however uncompromising that plan may be. In this case, Hunter is caught in an untenable situation, where he is facing a corrupt sheriff and a bunch of deputies, while he is cornered in a motel room. However, the same sheriff has just kidnapped the woman that Hunter is protecting, so you can be reasonably assured that he won’t go quietly. 
 
  • Do you decide on the location/setting for the story first, or does the plot dictate that for you? 

  • I often make the decision beforehand about location. For instance, I’ll think ‘this one is going to be a mountain book’, or ‘this one will be set in the desert’ and from there then look for a specific location. Often the location determines the action scenes that play out, and often give me ideas then for the plot. Saying that there have been occasions where I’ve written a scene where the location is generic, and from there made a snap decision where it will go next. I often use different environments in the books to offer contrast and also adapt the action to that terrain – being hunted through an urban setting would be very different from in the open in the middle of a blizzard, for instance.  

  • What can we expect next from the hot Hilton keyboard? 

  • My next book to be published is the fourth in a different thriller series that I write featuring Tess Grey and Nicolas ‘Po’ Villere. It is called Worst Fear, and pits the mismatched duo of crime fighter and outlaw up against killers targeting friends from Tess’s past. Severn House publishes it on 29th September 2017. I’m also working on a brand new series, featuring totally different characters, and anyone who knows me might be surprised to find that this time the books are set in the UK (the Hunter and Tess and Po books are all set in the USA). It’s early days yet on this new series, so I’m loath to say too much as everything might change in the writing. But fans of my books hopefully won’t be disappointed. And of course, Hunter is never far away in my thoughts and I’m already jotting down idea for his next outing too.
 
Thank you very much for your time, Matt. I appreciate it.
 
If you want to read my review of 'Marked for Death' in Shots Magazine, you can do so right here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment